Untraced Driver Accident Claims

All road traffic accidents are frustrating. However, if the other party involved is untraceable, then the situation becomes more complex. PM Law will provide you with legal advice if you’re in an accident with an untraced driver – we’ll even help you put your case together so you can get the compensation you’re entitled to.

Guiding you expertly through an untraced driver claim

It can be difficult to know what to do if you're involved in a car accident with an untraced driver, but the solicitors at PM Law are here to support you. We'll do all we can to ensure that you don't suffer as a result of someone else's negligence.

If you're unable to trace a driver after an accident, get in touch with us and we'll be on hand to guide you every step of the way.

Complete the form or call us on 0330 056 2180 to see if you can make a claim.

How can we help you?

Privacy Policy(Required)
When completing this form, the details you provide will only be used to deal with your enquiry. Please read our Privacy Policy for more information on how your data is used and stored.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

What is an untraced driver?

Untraced drivers are commonly known as ‘hit and run’ drivers. An untraced driver will not stop at the scene of the accident, so you won’t be able to get their insurance details.

A common reason for these drivers leaving the scene is that they might be driving a stolen or uninsured vehicle, hence why they don’t stop to exchange details.

What should I do if I'm in an accident with an untraceable driver?

It’s crucial you collect as much evidence at the scene as possible as you won’t be able to get the details of the untraced driver involved in the accident. You should:

  • Take pictures of the scene, including the damage to your vehicle
  • Collect the details of any witnesses
  • Take notes about the other vehicle involved and the driver
  • Contact the police and your insurer

It might feel like there’s not much you can do at the scene, but if you follow the points above, you’ll put yourself in the best positive to make an untraced driver claim.

Making an untraced driver claim

As with uninsured driver claims, the Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB) will support you if you’re hit by an untraced driver. Their untraced driver agreement will help you claim compensation against the guilty party.

The MIB have a claim form that you’re required to complete in order to make your claim. You’ll be able to select what exactly you’re claiming for from the following options:

  • Personal injury
  • Loss of earnings
  • Damages to property, your vehicle and hire vehicle costs if you don’t have comprehensive insurance
  • Losses caused by personal injury

You don’t have to do this alone, however. PM Law’s expert solicitors are happy to give you legal advice and will support you through the claims process with MIB. Contact us today and we can advise you on the next steps.

How long do I have to make an untraced driver claim?

To make a claim through the MIBs untraced driver agreement, there are certain requirements that need to be met. One of these is that you must report the incident to the police within 14 days of the accident. And, if your property has been damaged by an untraced driver, then you must inform the police within 5 days of the incident.

In terms of personal injury claims, you’ll have three years from the date of the accident to make your claim. You’ll also have to prove fault using all the evidence from the scene and any subsequent pieces of evidence. PM Law can help by collating all the evidence together and putting in a claim to the MIB on your behalf.

Contact us today to start your untraced driver claim

Get in touch with PM Law today by calling 03300 562180. Call this number to speak to one of our team directly to discuss the details of your claim. We’ll work with you to build a case and then we can put this to the MIB when you’re ready.

Untraced Driver Claims FAQs

Didn’t find the answers you were looking for? Look at the FAQs below for more information on our untraced driver claims process.

Untraced driver claims have to be submitted to the MIB via their online portal. If you use a solicitor to assist with you claim, then they can submit it to the MIB on your behalf. 

You can claim for injuries and any other losses if you're in an accident with an untraced driver. You might also be able to claim for property damage in some cases, too. 

Be aware that the MIB will deduct a £300 'excess' from all compensation claims in a similar way to how fully comprehensive insurance policies do. 

Unfortunately not. In fact, the longer you take to submit your claim, the less compensation you could receive.