Landlord & Tenant Disputes

Landlord and tenant disputes are increasingly common and can be very emotional. If you're a landlord or tenant looking for reliable and actionable legal advice, look no further than our experienced landlord and tenant solicitors.

Protecting the rights of tenants and landlords

We're committed to protecting the rights of both tenants and landlords. Whether you're a landlord or a tenant, our team will work with you to achieve the best outcome possible.

You can feel confident that our team have your back. If you're having an issue with a landlord or tenant and think you'd benefit from legal advice, please get in touch to discuss this with us.

At PM Law in Sheffield, we strive to offer clear legal advice for landlords and tenants to ensure you and your rights are protected. If you need support with a landlord and tenant dispute, get in touch with us straightaway by calling 0330 056 2183 for a free initial discussion.

How can we help you?

Privacy Policy(Required)
When completing this form, the details you provide will only be used to deal with your enquiry. Please read our Privacy Policy for more information on how your data is used and stored.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

What is a landlord and tenant dispute?

When a landlord or a tenant breaches the terms of their leasehold contract, we call this a landlord and tenant dispute. There are various reasons landlord and tenant disputes arise but, whatever the issue might be, our solicitors have the experience and knowledge necessary to protect your rights.

Common causes of landlord and tenant disputes

Landlord and tenant disputes are often stressful for those involved. Here are some of the most common causes of landlord and tenant disputes in the UK:

  • Damage to property: tenants should always avoid damaging the property, but landlords should also be understanding of the general wear and tear that comes with everyday living. Tenants should always make landlords aware of any accidental damage of if they plan on making changes to the property, such as hanging art on walls or putting up shelves, to get permission from the landlord.
  • Non-payment of rent: One of the most common challenges faced by landlords is the non-payment of rent. Such disputes can quickly escalate and lead to strained relationships and financial losses. Our skilled solicitors recognise the urgency of these situations and are here to guide you through the resolution process with expertise and empathy.
  • Repair obligations: Repairs and who's responsible for them can be a common source of tension between landlords and tenants. Both parties have distinct responsibilities outlined in lease agreements and tenancy laws. Disputes can arise when questions about maintenance, repairs, and responsibilities arise. At PM Law, we understand the importance of maintaining harmonious relationships while upholding legal obligations, and we're here to assist you in achieving a resolution that benefits all parties involved.

Tenancy deposit claims

Landlords are obligated to protect the deposit of all tenants under an assured shorthold tenancy. They must protect your deposit by placing it within a compliant tenancy deposit protection scheme within 30 days of receiving it. If they don't protect your deposit, then the landlord is in breach of their deposit protection obligations and you could be entitled to a full return of the deposit as well as compensation up to three times the value.

Landlords must protect your deposit by putting it into one of the three following deposit protection schemes:

You should have been told at the beginning of your tenancy which scheme your deposit will be protected by. You can check if your deposit has been protected by clicking on the links above. If it hasn't been protected, then get in touch for support in making a tenancy deposit claim.

How can PM Law help with tenant and landlord disputes?

PM Law are lucky to have a team of landlord and tenant dispute solicitors with years of experience. Our specialist team offer advice to landlords and tenants on their legal rights relating to both residential and commercial leases, including:

  • Assured shortholds tenancy agreements
  • Non-payment of rent
  • Deposit recovery claims
  • Housing disrepair claims
  • Landlord legal responsibilities
  • Service charge disputes
  • Subletting
  • Possession proceedings
  • Forfeiture proceedings
  • Tenancy deposit claims

Get in touch to discuss your landlord and tenant dispute

At PM Law in Sheffield, we strive to offer clear legal advice for landlords and tenants to ensure you and your rights are protected. If you need support with a landlord and tenant dispute, get in touch with us straightaway by calling 03300 562183 for a free initial discussion.

Landlord & Tenant Case Study

Successful Possession Order For Serial Non-Payer.

We recently acted for a landlord who had lost a previous claim against their tenant for possession. It transpired that the agent did not carry out proper checks on the tenant who was a serial renter/non payer who knew all the tricks in the book to avoid eviction.

We were able to gather evidence of the tenant’s previous conduct and presented a witness statement to the Judge and successfully secured a possession order.

Landlord and Tenant Dispute FAQs

Didn’t find the answers you were looking for? Look at the FAQs below for more information on our landlord and tenant dispute claims process.

If you've made a complaint against your landlord directly or through a letting agent and haven't got your desired outcome, it's probably time to make a claim. 

We encourage you to contact us for a free initial discussion about your claim. Our team will then give you an idea of whether your claim is worth pursuing and, if it is, we'll start our claims process. 

This depends on what you're claim for in the first place. The compensation you receive could be to pay for any damage to your property or belongings due to your landlord not completing repairs, for example. 

If you're making a housing disrepair claim, for example, you should notify your landlord via text, email, in person or letter and give them 21 days to respond before making the claim. 

It's crucial that you notify them and give them the opportunity to respond and rectify the issue before putting in a claim. If they fail to make the repairs in a reasonable time frame, you can then still make a compensation claim. 

Under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 states that tenants should ‘Make good any damage to the property caused by the behaviour or negligence of the tenant, members of his/her household or any other person lawfully visiting or living in the property’.

It is useful to take an inventory of the property before any tenants move in, to detail the contents and condition of the property. If the tenants then damage the property then they should pay for the repairs or replacement as required. Should the tenants fail to meet the cost of the damage, then this can be taken from the deposit at the end of the tenancy.

General wear and tear should however be accounted for. Examples of wear and tear would be, painting and decorating, some scratches and marks on often used areas.

Any belongings left behind by a tenant still belong to the tenant. If you therefore dispose of the belongings the tenant may bring a legal action against you.

The first thing you should do is try to contact the tenant and request that they collect their belongings. A notice under the Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977 will need to be sent to the tenant explaining that you intend to sell or dispose of their belongings left at the property, providing a reasonable amount of time or them to be collected by.

Whether your landlord can increase the rent, will depend on what tenancy you have. There are certain rules and notice periods your landlord will have to provide, depending on if you have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, are within a fixed term or if there is a rent review clause.

You should try and reach an agreement with your landlord and if this is not possible, you can refer the matter to the Property Tribunal for a decision.

Depending on the circumstances, the tenants should firstly be contacted to advise of the situation and why you wish for them to leave the property.

If communicating with the tenants does not resolve the issue, then an appropriate form or notice should be served on the tenants. Legal advice should be taken as soon as possible to assist with ensuring the correct notice is served and if necessary, commence possession proceedings in the County Court.