PM Law offer you expert advice and support in defending a claim for unfair or wrongful dismissal.
The fees set out below cover all of the work in relation to the following key stages of a claim:
- Taking your initial instructions and reviewing the papers
- Entering into pre-claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached;
- Preparing response to a claim
- Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process
- Preparing or considering a schedule of loss
- Preparing for (and attending) a Preliminary Hearing
- Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents
- Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses
- Preparing bundle of documents
- Reviewing and advising on the other party’s witness statements
- Agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list
- Preparation and attendance at Final Hearing, including instructions to Counsel
The stages set out above are an indication and if some of stages above are not required, the fee may be reduced. You may wish to handle the claim yourself and only have our advice in relation to some of the stages. This can also be arranged on your individual needs.
How long will my matter take?
The time that it takes from taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved. If a settlement is reached during pre-claim conciliation, your case is likely to take up to 3 months. If your claim proceeds to a Final Hearing, your case is likely to take 12 – 18 months. This is just an estimate and we will of course be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information and as the matter progresses.
Our pricing for defending claims for unfair or wrongful dismissal
Our hourly rate is £201 + VAT.
At the outset it is difficult to provide an accurate estimate as to what our fees may amount to, since this can vary depending on how the matter proceeds and whether it can be settled without the need for court proceedings or has to proceed to a fully contested hearing.
On average, our fees are in the region of:
- Simple case – £6,000 – £10,000 + VAT
- Medium complexity case – £10,000 – £17,000 + VAT
- High complexity case – £17,000 – £25,000 + VAT
In the worst case scenario, if the matter has to proceed to a fully contested hearing this would amount to something in the region of 40 hours work.
Counsel’s fees for a hearing could amount to anything as high as £1500.00 per day.
We will keep you informed as to your cost liability and advise you of the likely costs involved in each stage of your case.
Factors that could make a case more complex:
- If it is necessary to defend applications to amend claims or to provide further information about an existing claim
- Defending claims that are brought by litigants in person
- Making or defending a costs application
- Complex preliminary issues such as whether the claimant is disabled (if this is not agreed by the parties)
- The number of witnesses and documents
- Allegations of discrimination which are linked to the dismissal
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.