Legal services for you and your family
Personal injury compensation claims

Plumber hit with suspended prison sentence after illegal gas work

A plumber has been given a suspended prison sentence and ordered to do 240 hours of community work after carrying out illegal and unsafe gas work at two fried chicken shops in Southend-on-Sea.

Richard Smith, 56, from Dagenham in Essex, exposed staff, customers, owners and their families to the risk of explosion and injury after leaving gas appliances in a condition classified as ‘At Risk’.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Smith on 16th April for serious breaches of gas safety regulations after his sub-standard work was uncovered at Tasty Chicken, Westcliff-on-Sea, and The Chick Inn, Southend-on-Sea in June 2013.

Southend-on-Sea Magistrates’ Court was told that Mr Smith visited both premises on 5th May 2012 to carry out annual gas safety checks on commercial gas cookers and a gas boiler, despite not being Gas Safe registered or competent to carry out the work.

HSE found that Mr Smith, who had never been trained to work on commercial catering equipment, had been using an expired Gas Safe Register card he had received while working for a former employer. HSE had warned him against making false claims with clients in 2011 but he ignored this warning.

Smith, of Wren Road, Dagenham, Essex, was given a four month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, and ordered to carry out 240 hours of community work.

He was also ordered to pay costs of £892 after admitting to six breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

After the case, HSE Inspector Sue Matthews said that anyone working on gas appliances needs to be a member of the Gas Safe Register to prove they are competent to work on the gas appliances concerned.

“Mr Smith defied these requirements as he was not registered and had never been trained to work on commercial catering equipment,” she said.

“He also falsely claimed to be Gas Safe registered in spite of a previous warning by HSE in 2011 that this was against the law.

“By failing to heed this warning, Mr Smith potentially endangered the lives of the public and the employees at Tasty Chicken and The Chick Inn. The Tasty Chicken owner’s family, who lived on the premises, were also put at risk.

“It is vital that gas-fired catering equipment is properly checked as gas leaks can easily go undetected in commercial kitchens due to food odours and the use of extractor fans while cooking is taking place.

“Poorly serviced gas appliances can cause fires, explosions, gas leaks and carbon monoxide poisoning.”

If you’re suffering from a personal injury caused by a faulty or dangerous product, contact PM Law’s team of personal injury specialists on 0114 296 5444.

Skip to content